Saturday, January 29, 2011

I finally won

Last spring I was headed to the mountains to visit my property in Old Fort when a passenger in an SUV started throwing cans at my vehicle. I was on the phone with the highway patrol when the SUV exited off the highway onto the exit where the patrol station is located. The passenger then exited the SUV at the stop sign and attacked my car with his fist.

Finally the Morganton police showed up and while I was talking with them, the police told the other people to leave. I couldn't believe it. I then discovered I had locked my keys in my car with the engine running.

Not to worry, I called my auto club and was told they had a locksmith on the way. Thirty minutes later my auto club called and informed me the locksmith woyuld not be coming and I was on my own.

I ended up having to break a window to get back into my car and I thought it only right that the auto club reinbursement up to the amount that they would have had to fork out for the locksmith, especially since they had erred in leaving me stranded 130 miles from home.

They admitted they had erred in handling the situation and said to send them the bill. I did and they refused to pay it claimming I did not have the spare tire replacemnt option on my policy. It didn't matter who I contacted, from service reps, to the president, to the council that oversees the entire operation to public relations, I got no positive feedback. Most often I was ignored and if I received a response, it was always about the spare tire thing.

The anual membershee dues are coming due and we received the billin the mail. I asked my wife to call and ask for a free year to compensate us for having to replace the window on the car. "Nooo! we can't possible do that" AARP responded. Maybe we can give you partial credit but we can't give you a whole year free."

A year is only $56.00.

Three days later, I received a call saying we would be receiving a check for $200.00 for the cost of the window I had to replace.

They should have done that to begin with. I'm sure many people have read all the negative comments I posted about AARP auto club and I can not undo what they have read.

I'm glad they finally did the right thing in the end though.

No comments:

Post a Comment