Saturday, April 9, 2011

Koi Babies

I transferred both koi babies from the small pond to the large one yesterday. the fish have grown quite large during their first year.

One of them is white with an orange spot and I named it Zero after the WWII Japanese warplane. The other is orange and black, almost identical to Shark so I named it Tiger. Tigers are black and orange with stripes and as this fish is most likely the offspring of Shark, I though Tiger was appropriate as in Tiger Shark.

I referred to my fish as it only because at the tender age of less than a year, one cannot be certain if they are boys are girls.

I have two females (Showa and Orange) and two males (Shark and Spot) plus the two babies. I should know by next year what gender they are.

They are really enjoying the new waterfall and their appetite is picking up as the weather warms.


Hopefully I'll get some floater plants soon. The farmers market has Hyacynth at $3.99 or 3 for $10.00. I purchased my there last year and they quickly filled my pond. Aquamains closed their doors last year and they were the only other place I know to get pond plants not in a can.

No comments:

Post a Comment