Wednesday, April 27, 2011

high school reunions

Ihave never been to one. The first few we had I lived too far away to attend or was in the US Navy and after that my high school and I lost contact with each other. I had the opportunity in 1985 to attend my 20th but didn't want to go because I had gained too much weight. The school and I lost contact after that until a couple of years ago.

I really though about attending the one last year but realized that I would be attending an expensive event with a group of people I did not know nor care about.

I do get a newsletter from time to time telling me what the same old snobs from school days are doing in their exciting successful lives. The common folk are not mentioned at all unless they were either widly popular in school due to athletic success or had achieved newsworthy success after graduation.

Where I attended school one was either in the in-crowd because of the wealth of ones parents (and there were many of them) or you were a loser.

A perfect example: Hight School consisted of the 10th through twelth grades. After the ninth grade, the students from each junior high picked their fasvorite cheerleader to be on the high school squad the following year. The two candidates from Grandview were Jean Shell and Cindy Peeler. Cindy was a skinny little rich kid while Jean was a beautiful exotic daughter of somebody.

The students voted overwhelmingly for Jean but Cindy was the cheerleader in hight school because, for the first time every, the teachers decided that they, and not the students, should have had the right to pick the incoming cheerleader.

There was one interesting tidbit in the recent newsletter though. The Hickory native who won "Last Comic Standing" is the son of a classmate of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment