Friday, February 4, 2011

Dysfunctional Family

I suppose many families are dysfunctional to some degree and the one I grew up in was no exception. My dad worked long and hard and often stayed late or went back to work not only to earn extra income but to avoid his wife who seemed not to be able to quit talking. Mom was a "housewife" as stay-at-home Moms were called back then who cooked, cleaned and yelled at the kids.

My younger brother turned out to be an upper middle class yuppie conservative with a liberal lifestyle and by older brother turned out to be a middle middle-class working stiff who spends money like there is an endless supply and then complains about being poor, masquerades as a Christian while holding a grudge against one of his brothers for an incident that never occurred, never shares of himself with anyone and wonders why his family isn't closer than it is.

Me? I turned out to be a contradiction also, a hard working stiff full of bright ideas produced by what educators call a brilliant mind but who lacks the confidence in himself to step up and lead. Its hard to overcome the feelings of not being worthy drummed into a person during their childhood.

My father passed away and neither of by brothers have every changed nor will they likely change and Mom still talks too much and would probably be just as mean and hateful as she was when I was a kid but I've learned how to deal with the issues today. As far as my brothers, I hope I can figure out how to deal with them when the time comes when we have to be together. And I suppose it won't be far in the future either as my sister-in-law is ill with cancer and will not survive long.

I hate it for her but she took her chances as a three pack a day smoker so she had her pleasures. Mom is old and getting more feeble now but should have a few more years left in her. I dread the day when I have to deal with my older brother and his five ill bred, illegitimate, heathen children, who are sure to be the first to show up at Mom's house to loot what they can and trash what is left.

No comments:

Post a Comment