Sunday, February 13, 2011

Confusing

The Mosaic Law stated that if you didn't work neither would you eat and taught us to love one another and our neighbor as ourselves. Far right wing conservatives would have us believe that welfare programs should be eliminated and most people are leeches living off the government while liberals we are all entitled to an equal chance at life and should share and share alike. Didn't our parents teach us this when we were kids?

I really can't believe that God taught one group of people one way to live and another group a totally different way. For example, my neighbor next door is struggling to survive. He is a hard working man in his seventies living off a little bit of social security. From time to time I loan him a little money. Ten dollars for food, $20.00 for a load of wood to burn. I'm sure he wants to repay me and it would be nice but I don't expect to ever see the money again. My relationship with a good neighbor is far more important than money.

One the other hand, I have some friends that have been struggling to better themselves. The lady had been a crack-addicted street prostitute in Greensboro and is now a married woman off drugs and off the street. It's tough finding a job when one has a background like hers and I honor her struggle. I gave her moral support, some furniture and provided her with guidance with some problems she faced.

However when she asked for my monetary help because she was about to have her power disconnected I had to say no.

Why would I help a neighbor and not a friend?

Simple: My neighbor is a good man, a hard working man, that is doing is best to support himself. My friend, on the other hand, has no drivers license and no car insurance yet owns a car and drives, has quit or been fired from every job she has had , has twice attempted to sue her former employers, and still keeps in contact with the girls still on the streets and her husband is an alcoholic and I have suspected that perhaps the two sell a few pills now and then to supplement their income.

Americans are charitable people. I don't mind helping a neighbor in need but it upsets me to be forced to help someone that just wants a handout. My neighbor comes up and gives me a hand from time to time in my yard. He once loaned me his lawn mower when mine quit half way through my mowing task and while I was finishing cutting the grass he took my mower and had it repaired. He tilled my garden last year and has helped me on my pond, given me rocks and shared from his garden.

I have to admit my friends helped me move into my new house several years ago
but one still gets the feeling the friendship is only as deep as my pockets. Like the couple you were visiting the church. One Sunday night they announced to the church they had decided that our church would become their permanent church home and would attend no where else. Later in the week they asked to borrow $500,00 from the church and when their request was denied, they have no been back.

The good Samaritan went way beyond the call of duty to help someone he was expected to despise but I'm sure if the same man kept going out and getting drunk and ending up in the same situation, even the Good Samaritan woud say enough is enough.

I contribute to charities, give to the church and pay my taxes but I am a poor working man and when helping my friends and neighbors becomes a reoccuring theme and a burden on my wife and I rhen I will have to say no.

I'm sure Moses would have saw to it that a man trying to feed his family that may have broken a leg or arm or suffered an illness received help to see him through his rough time but when a fellow tribesman refused to help himself, the Moses said enough is enough. If you try I'll help but if you don't, then you are on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment