Monday, March 21, 2011

First Day of Spring

Today is the first full day of spring for this year and I'm going to be putting some seeds in the ground. I'll wait a few weeks for my tomato plants but most of my vegatable and flower seeds will be planted today. I'm up early at four in anticipation. (Actually sleeping till 4 am is sleeping in for me. I'm normally up by three)

I am waiting for my pampas grass to arrive. No, I'm not planting it beside my driveway as many others have. Such actions cause accidents because the plants block everyones view. No, I'm planting mine on the backside of my water pond to block the view of my neighbors delapitated outbuilding with the tar paper shredding in the wind and flapping in the breeze. I have some other ornamental grasses to plant arounf the pampas once I get that into the ground.

One of my peach pits finally gave up its seed and is growing into a tree. I just don't know where to plant it.

I also have six or eight fugi apple trees started from seed (I only needed one ) so I'm not sure what to do with the excess there.

I will be more cautious with my hibiscus trees this year. I sat them out too earloy last year and between the frost and the drought they just didn't have a chance. This year they will stay inside until they are large enough and strong enough to survive most anything.

The hardest part about growing stuff for me is the part where the instructions say to "thin" the plants. I find that so cold and callous and its hard for me to intentionally take the life of a plant like that. I know that may be silly but maybe the people who talk to plants will better understand.

Maybe the plants cand sense I care because people say I can grow anything anywhere. I wish that were true but I have been known to place a piece of broken plant into the ground and grow another plant. sometime I end up with just a piece of dead vegatation but one never knows.

But anyway, I sure hope you enjoy your first day of spring, even if you have to work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment